Cooking ClassesBeanie Bowl Casserole
Stir Fried Vegetables
Coconut Curry Chicken and Veggies
Spicy Peanut Sauce
Super Veggie Omelet
Sweet 'n Salmon Salad
Salmon or Tuna Bowl Casserole
Learn simple, healthy recipes that can fit into your lifestyle. Discover tofu, tempeh (Indonesian cultured soy product), grains, and beans along with all sorts of fresh vegetables. Find out easy ways to make family favorites more nutritious. Learn how to bake!
Where: My home: 4511 NW 16th Place, Gainesville, Fl 32605
When: Flexible. Call 514-1305 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time.
Cost: $20.00 per person, food included.
We make up a large pot about once a week and keep it in the refrigerator. We use 7 cups short grain brown rice to 12 cups water. Boil 15 minutes and turn burner off. Let it sit till all the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Put some brown rice in a bowl and flatten it down.
- Spoon a 1/2" layer of beans over the top. You can sprinkle some chopped onion over if you want.
- We usually spoon some diced canned tomatoes over the top.
- Now sprinkle 1 to 3 tbl of shredded cheese.
- Put it in microwave and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until the level of doneness you like. We like to let the cheese get crispy. If you put some mozzarella cheese on top, it gets crispy faster.
Cream variation: Put onions and tomatoes on top of the beans. Pour a lot of Half n' Half over. Warm covered in microwave. You could put a little extra sharp cheddar on it too.
- Cut up a lot of vegetables. Possibilities include:
- onions, carrots, celery, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, Chinese vegetables, tomatoes, spinach, scallions, mushrooms, peppers.
Put some oil in a wok. When it's heated, add a few cloves of crushed garlic and all the hard veggies. Stir every now and then while they cook with the cover on. Add the quicker cooking veggies when the others are about 1/2 done. Add a little water if is gets too dry. Continue cooking until everything is tender crisp. Add a spoonful of Better than Boullion of whatever flavor you prefer-chicken, beef, pork.
If you want, you can add some fresh ginger at the beginning. You can either grate the root or purchase it in the produce section of the grocery store in a tube so that you can just squeeze out the amount you want. A couple teaspoons is about right for a large wok full. Fresh ginger root can be kept in the freezer and it's easy to grate from the frozen state. You might like to add some soy sauce at the end of cooking.
If you want to thicken the liquid, put a little water in a teacup and add 1-2 tbsp cornstarch. Mix it up well and pour this into the wok while the veggies are boiling. Stir it all and let it cook for about 1 minute.
Take a wrap and spread it with hummus or fat free cream cheese. Sprinkle over any of the following:
- roast beef
- chicken or turkey
- chopped onion
- green pepper strips
- grated cheese
- chopped lettuce
- tomato slices
- cucumber slices
- Roll it up and eat.
You can warm it briefly in the microwave if you want.
- Spread refried beans over a corn or flour tortilla.
- Overlay the tortilla by sprinkling layers of chopped onion, thick salsa and grated cheese.
- Put another tortilla on top.
- Fry this in a little oil, turning once. Enjoy.
- You can put a little chicken or ground beef in these also.
- ¼ to ½ lb. ground turkey
- 1 rounded tsp crushed garlic
- 1 block extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 14 to ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 or 2 cans of enchilada sauce
- Handful shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Handful shredded mozzarella
- Corn tortillas
Preheat oven to 400
Brown the meat with the garlic in a pan.
Mix in the next 6 ingredients.
Taste and adjust seasonings
Grease a 13 x 9” pan
Put about 2 tbsp filling in the center of each tortilla.
Fold each side to the middle and place seam side down in the baking pan.
When the pan is full, pour the sauce over the enchiladas.
Sprinkle the cheeses over with the mozzarella on top.
Bake for 20 to 30 min, until its melty, golden brown at edges, and smells delicious.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 5 cups chopped fresh or frozen vegetables
- 3 medium or 2 large eggs
- 2 cups grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups soy or dairy milk
- 1 large sliced tomato
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- Ready-made pie crust from the
refrigerated bake goods section of the grocery store (the box comes with 2 crusts).
Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
Spoon into 2 greased pie pans.
Top with sliced tomatoes.
Sprinkle bread crumbs over tomatoes.
Open up one pie crust, lay it out flat, and slice it into ½ inch strips.
Unroll these and arrange in a lattice or circular pattern on top of the pies.
Bake at 350 for about 1 hour or until well browned.
If you want it to cook a little faster, thaw out the frozen vegetables in the microwave and steam or microwave the chopped fresh vegetables until they are about half cooked.
Sauté 10 chicken tenders in 2 tablespoons oil until brown. Remove from skillet.
Add to frying pan:
1 heaping teaspoon crushed garlic
1 chopped onion
3 chopped stalks of celery
2 sliced carrots
Handful of chopped cilantro
Handful of chopped parsley
1 sliced zucchini squash
¾ cups sliced mushrooms (about ½ a package)
1 chopped green pepper
Sauté until almost done, stirring frequently.
1 can coconut milk (not lite)
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoons fish sauce
¼ teaspoon Adobo seasoning
Bring to boil. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Serve over rice.
- 1/3c. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine, stir to dissolve.
- Pour this mixture over 7c of hot oriental sushi rice.
- Stir well. Keeps well in fridge. We freeze it in pint plastic containers so it's always handy.
- vinegared sushi rice,
- nori seaweed sheets
- bamboo sushi roller
- Put the nori on the bamboo roller
- Spread a thin even layer of rice
over it to about 1/2 of edges.
- Place lines of filling over, about 3 choices. 1/2" from ends and 1 inch from top and bottom.
- Roll it up, squeeze it tight, fold in the ends and remove from the roller
- cooked egg
- chicken, especially finely shredded with barbeque sauce
- cream cheese
- grated carrots
- green pepper and red pepper
- fresh herbs: basil, dill, oregano
- finely chopped streamed or stir fry veg
- chopped canned carrots
- micro waved frozen chopped spinach
We always eat the sushi roll like a hot dog, but the traditional way is to slice it in approximately 1" slices. We like to put lots of filling in and it stays in better if you don't slice it.
- First we put 8 cups wheat berries in our Whisper Mill to grind.
- In a large bowl we put:
- 6 cups hot tap water
- 3 tbsp baking yeast
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup honey
- 2tbsp salt
- the freshly ground flour
We stir it all up. Then we stir in white flour and use that for kneading. Knead until it's like a springy, but not very sticky ball.
Clean, dry, and grease the bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and turn it over. Cover with a plastic bag. In about 30 to 45 minutes the dough will be risen and ready to punch down. Shape into pretzels, rolls, pizza crusts, and loaves. Let rise.
To make something brown 'n serve, bake it at 275 until it's somewhat done, but not at all brown .
Bake everything else at 350. To tell when the bread is done, take the loaf out of the pan and tap it on the bottom. If it is brown and crusty and sounds hollow, it's done.
- Get a frozen brown 'n serve pizza crust out to thaw. Slice up some veggies like onion, zucchini, peppers and mushrooms, and cook them till 1/2 done in the microwave.
- Empty a package of sun-dried
tomatoes into a bowl and cover with hot water. Let soak a few minutes.
- Pick a handful of fresh basil and one of oregano from the garden.
- Spread a lot of low fat ricotta cheese over the pizza crust.
- Cut up a block of extra firm tofu into small slices. Put them in a bowl. Spoon 2 to 4 tablespoons of prepared pesto over the tofu and toss to coat. (Classico makes good pesto.)
- Arrange the veggies, tofu, tomatoes and herbs over the ricotta cheese. Sprinkle a bunch of sharp cheddar cheese over and top with mozzarella. A little feta goes well too.
- Bake at 400ºF until it's brown and crusty. Yum!
- Oysters are really great in this if you want to get exotic.
- Instead of zucchini you can thaw out frozen chopped spinach or broccoli and put a layer of that on. You need to squeeze all the excess liquid out of the spinach first.
- If you have a big freezer and a lot of children, this is a crowd pleaser. Make a lot of pizza crusts in aluminum pie pans. Then, everyone can make their own "personal pan pizza" and there are no arguments over what toppings to use.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dark sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
Mix all ingredients until blended.
Store in a jar in refrigerator.
Tastes great on vegetables,
meat,beans and rice etc.
- Put a little olive oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Dump in a bunch of stir fried or steamed vegetables and spread them out.
- Pour over some well-beaten eggs.
- Sprinkle over a bunch of flavorful cheese(s) like sharp cheddar, feta, Asiago, Romano, gorgonzola, whatever you like.
- Turn it once (by sections) to brown.
- Eat over rice or with bread.
- You can cut up some firm tofu and add it with the vegetables. Reduce eggs some if you add tofu.
- Salsa is good in this also. Spoon it over on top of the cheese.
- Leaf lettuce
- Fresh herbs like basil, dill, oregano, or rosemary if you have them.
- Add some canned salmon, a handful of crazins, a little vinaigrette and some blue cheese dressing.
- Eat it plain or put it in a pita pocket with some hummous or a few chick peas.
- Put some rice in a bowl. Smash it down and make it level.
- Top with a layer of fish.
- Now some canned, diced tomatoes
- Sprinkle diced onions over.
- Generous amount of grated cheddar (or other) cheese on top.
- Cook in microwave for 4 to 8 minutes. (We like ours cooked until the cheese is crispy at the edges.)
- 5-6 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 8 to 12 oz. of Cabot brand Seriously Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 packages chopped spinach, thawed.
Mix all ingredients. Pour into greased 13x9” pan. Bake at 350 for 45 to 60 minutes or until lightly browned and slightly puffed.
- Slice up some potatoes.
- Put them in a bowl.
- Drizzle over a tablespoon or two of olive oil.
- Sprinkle some oregano and salt over.
- Toss until all pieces are evenly coated.
- Put it in the microwave oven and cook till the ones at the edges are starting to get brown and crispy. About 20 minutes for a 3 quart casserole.
Combine in a blender:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4c. sweet onion or scallions
- 1 bunch parsley (minus stems)
- 1 bunch cilantro (minus stems)
- 1tbsp anchovy paste
- 2tbsp lime juice
- 3tbsp wine vinegar
- 1/2c. low fat sour cream
- 1/2c. yogurt
- 1/2c. reduced fat mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chill thoroughly; it mellows and thickens on standing. Yields approximately 3 cups.
Goddess over multigrain pasta with tomatoes and sardines.
(See picture at top of page.)
- 2 tbsp yeast
- 3 cups warm water
- ¼ cup sugar
Place ingredients in a very large bowl.
When yeast is dissolved add:
- 1 tbsp salt
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup oil, preferably canola
Stir in 12 – 15 cups flour, until dough holds together.
Knead, adding flour as necessary, until smooth and springy.
Place in oiled bowl, turn over. Cover with a plastic bag. Let rise until doubled.
Punch down, knead in a little more flour if it's too moist to handle.
Shape into braided loaves, rolls or any shape. Let rise until when you touch it lightly with you finger it doesn’t spring back quickly.
Bake at 350 for about 30 to 45 min or until brown and crusty.
Brush with butter.
Dump a bag of baby carrots in a bowl. Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil and some fresh or frozen, finely chopped dill if you want. Toss! Place in a covered casserole dish and microwave for 20-30 minutes, or until tender.